Title:Professor and Chairman, Department of Preventive Dentistry
Discipline area:Dental Public Health and Pediatric Dentistry
1. Dental developmental abnormality
2. Saliva Biomarker
3. Dental public health
Area of Research Expertise:
1. Study on the mechanism of dental developmental abnormality (esp. CCD, AI and Hypodontia)
2. Molecular epidemiological study and biomarker study for dental caries and periodontal disease
3. The study of the policy for dental public health in China
1. Focus on the mutation detection and pathogenesis of CCD, AI, Hypodontia and other dental developmental abnormality
2. Early diagnosis and monitoring of salivary biomarkers in dental caries and periodontal disease
3. Research on human resources, policies and strategies of dental public health in China
1. Tang Han#, Yuan Chao#, Ma Zhangke, Zhu Ce, Tong Peiyuan, Gallagher Jennifer Elizabeth, SunXiangyu*, Zheng Shuguo*. The potentiality of salivary peptide biomarkers for screening patients with periodontal diseases by mass spectrometry. Clinica Chimica Acta, 2019, 495: 278-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2019.04.076
2. Fan Can Can#, Wang Wen Hui#, Xu Tao* and Zheng Shu Guo*. Risk factors of early childhood caries (ECC) among children in Beijing - a prospective cohort study. BMC Oral Health, 2019, 19:34, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-019-0721-9
3. Tong Peiyuan#, Yuan Chao#, Sun Xiangyu, Yue Qi, Wang Xiaoling*, Zheng Shuguo*. Identification of salivary peptidomic biomarkers in chronic kidney disease patients undergoing haemodialysis. Clinica Chimica Acta, 2019, 489: 154–161.
4. Liu Yang, Sun Xiangyu, Zhang Xianli, Wang Xiaozhe, Zhang Chenying* and Zheng Shuguo*. RUNX2 mutation impairs osteogenic differentiation of dental follicle cells. Archives of Oral Biology, 2019, 97: 156-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archoralbio.2018.10.029
5. WANG Xiao Zhe#, SUN Xiang Yu#, QUAN Jun Kang, ZHANG Chen Ying, ZHAO Min, SHI Xiang Ru, SI Yan, ZHENG Shu Guo*. Effects of Premature Delivery and Birth Weight on Eruption Pattern of Primary Dentition among Beijing Children. Chin J Dent Res 2019; 22(2): 131–137; doi:10.3290/j.cjdr.a42517.
6. GU Zhi Wen#, ZHANG Shan Shan#, ZHANG Rui Juan, TANG Han, SUN Xiang Yu, LIU Xue Nan*, ZHENG Shu Guo*. Prevalence of Caries in Mainland China: Evidence from 1980 to 2018: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Chin J Dent Res 2019; 22 (4): 251–263; doi:10.3290/j.cjdr.a43736.
7. Zhu C#, Yuan C#, Ao S, Shi XR, Chen F, Sun XY* and Zheng SG*. The Predictive Potentiality of Salivary Microbiome for the Recurrence of Early Childhood Caries. Front. Cell. Infect. Microbiol. 2018, 8: 423.doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2018.00423.
8. Yu Shunlan, Quan Junkang, Wang Xiaozhe, Sun Xiangyu, Zhang Xianli, Liu Yang, Zhang Chenying* and Zheng Shuguo*. A novel FAM83H mutation in one Chinese family with autosomal-dominant hypocalcification amelogenesis imperfect. Mutagenesis, 2018, 33(4): 333–340, https://doi.org/10.1093/mutage/gey019.
9. Yuan Chao, Liu Xiaochen, Zheng Shuguo*. Matrix metalloproteinase-8 levels in oral samples as a biomarker for periodontitis in the Chinese population: an observational study. BMC Oral Health, 2018, 18:51, DOI 10.1186/s12903-018-0512-8.
10. Liu Y, Wang YX, Sun XY, Zhang XL, Wang XZ, Zhang CY* and Zheng SG*. RUNX2 mutation reduces osteogenic differentiation of dental follicle cells in cleidocranial dysplasia. Mutagenesis, 2018, 33, 203–214, doi:10.1093/mutage/gey010.
11. Liu Y, Zhang XL, Sun XY, Wang XZ, Zhang CY* and Zheng SG*. Abnormal bone remodelling activity of dental follicle cells from a cleidocranial dysplasia patient. Oral Dis, 2018, 24: 1270–1281. DOI: 10.1111/odi. 12900.
12. Quan Jun Kang#, Wang Xiao Zhe#, Sun Xiang Yu, Yuan Chao, Liu Xue Nan, Wang Xing, Feng Xi Ping, Tai Bao Jun, Hu De Yu, Lin Huan Cai, Wang Bo, Si Yan, Wang Chun Xiao, Wang Wei Jian, Rong Wen Sheng*, Zheng Shu Guo*. Permanent Teeth Caries Status of 12- to 15-year-olds in China: Findings from the 4th National Oral Health Survey. Chin J Dent Res 2018; 21 (3): 181-193, doi: 10.3290/j.cjdr.a41080, PubMed: 30255169.
13. Sun Xiang Yu#, Yuan Chao#, Wang Xiao Zhe, Wang Xing, Feng Xi Ping, Tai Bao Jun, Hu De Yu, Lin Huan Cai, Wang Bo, Si Yan, Wang Chun Xiao, Rong Wen Sheng, Wang Wei Jian, Liu Xue Nan*, Zheng Shu Guo*. Report of the National Investigation of Resources for Oral Health in China. Chin J Dent Res 2018; 21 (4): 285-297, doi: 10.3290/j.cjdr.a41087.
14. Yuan Chao#, Wang Xiao Zhe#, Sun Xiang Yu, Wang Xing, Feng Xi Ping, Tai Bao Jun, Hu De Yu, Lin Huan Cai, Wang Bo, Si Yan, Wang Chun Xiao, Rong Wen Sheng, Wang Wei Jian, Zheng Shu Guo*, Liu Xue Nan*. Oral Health Status of 12-year-olds from Regions with and without Coverage of the National Oral Health Comprehensive Intervention Program for Children in China. Chin J Dent Res 2018; 21(4): 299-306, doi:10.3290/j.cjdr.a41088.
15. Tian C#, Sun X#, Liu X, Huang X, Chen F*, Zheng S*. Salivary peptidome profiling analysis for occurrence of new carious lesions in patients with severe early childhood caries. PLOS ONE 2017, 12(8): e0182712. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone0182712.
16. Zhang X, Liu Y, Wang X, Sun X, Zhang C*, Zheng S*. Analysis of novel RUNX2 mutations in Chinese patients with cleidocranial dysplasia. PLOS ONE 2017, 12(7): e0181653. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0181653.
17. Ao Shuang#, Sun Xiangyu#, Shi Xiangru , Huang Xin, Chen Feng*, Zheng Shuguo*. Longitudinal investigation of salivary proteomic profiles in the development of early childhood caries. Journal of Dentistry 2017, 61: 21-27. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdent. 2017.04.006.
18. Sun Xiangyu#, Bernabé Eduardo#, Liu Xuenan, Gallagher Jennifer E.*, Zheng Shuguo*. Early life factors and dental caries in 5-year-old children in China. Journal of Dentistry 2017, 61: 73-79. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdent.2017.06.007.
19. Sun Xiangyu, Bernabé Eduardo, Liu Xuenan, Zheng Shuguo*, Gallagher Jennifer E*. Meeting the oral health needs of 12-year-olds in China: human resources for oral health. BMC Public Health (2017), 17: 586. DOI 10.1186/s12889-017-4384-7.
20. Sun Kan#, Wang Wenhui#, Wang Xiaozhe, Shi Xiangru, Si Yan*, Zheng Shuguo*. Tooth wear: a cross-sectional investigation of the prevalence and risk factors in Beijing, China. BDJ Open 3 (Article | 27 January 2017), Article number: 16012 | doi: 10.1038/bdjopen. 2016.12.
21. Sun XY#, Bernabe E#, Liu XN, Gallagher JE*, Zheng SG*. Do contextual factors have a role in periodontal disease? J Clin Periodontol 2017; 44: 13–21. doi: 10.1111/jcpe.12630.
22. Sun X#, Bernabé E#, Liu X, Gallagher JE*, Zheng S* (2016). Determinants of Catastrophic Dental Health Expenditure in China. PLoS ONE 11(12): e0168341. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0168341.
23. Si Yan, Guo Yan, Yuan Chao, Xu Tao, Zheng Shuguo*. Comprehensive Oral Health Care to Reduce the Incidence of Severe Early Childhood Caries (s-ECC) in Urban China. Chin J Dent Res 2016; 19 (1): 55-63; doi: 10.3290/j.cjdr.a35698.
24. Wang XZ#, Sun XY#, Zhang CY, Yang X, Yan WJ, Ge LH & Zheng SG*. RUNX2 Mutation Impairs 1α, 25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 mediated Osteoclastogenesis in Dental Follicle Cells. Scientific Reports, 6, Article number: 24225 (2016), doi: 10.1038/srep24225.
25. Sun XY#, Wang XZ#, Zhang CY, Liu Y, Yang X, Yan WJ, Liu ZN, Wang YX and Zheng SG*. RUNX2 mutation impairs bone remodelling of dental follicle cells and periodontal ligament cells in patients with cleidocranial dysplasia. Mutagenesis 2016, 31, 677-685, doi:10.1093/mutage/gew039.
26. Sun XY#, Huang X#, Tan X#, Si Y, Wang XZ, Chen F* and Zheng SG*. Salivary peptidome profiling for diagnosis of severe childhood caries. J Transl Med (2016) 14:240. DOI 10:1186/s 12967-016-0996-4.
27. Fan CC#, Wang WF#, Xu T*, Zheng SG*. Risk factors of early childhood caries among children in Beijing: a case-control study. BMC Oral Health (2016) 16:98, DOI 10:1186/s12903-016-0289-6.
28. Yan WJ#, Zhang CY#, Yang X, Liu ZN, Wang XZ, Sun XY, Wang YX*, Zheng SG*. Abnormal Differentiation of Dental Pulp Cells in Cleidocranial Dysplasia. J Dent Res. 2015, 94 (4): 577-583 (DOI: 10.1177/0022034514566655).
29. Ma C#, Chen F#, Zhang Y, Sun X, Tong P, Si Y*, Zheng S*. Comparison of Oral Microbial Profiles between Children with Severe Early Childhood Caries and Caries-Free Children Using the Human Oral Microbe Identification Microarray. PLoS ONE, 2015, 10(3): e0122075. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0122075.
30. ZHANG Chenying#, SI Yan#, WANG Xiaozhe, SUN Xiangyu, YAN Wenjuan, ZHENG Shuguo *. Early Dental Treatments for Patients with Cleidocranial Dysplasia. Chinese Journal of Dental Research, 2015, 18 (1): 51-57.
31. SHI Xiangru #, HU Zhe#, WANG Xiaozhe, SUN Xiangyu, ZHANG Chenying, SI Yan*, ZHENG Shuguo*. Evaluation of the effect of the closed-eruption technique on impacted immature maxillary incisors. Chinese Journal of Dental Research, 2015, 18(2): 111-115.
32. Si Y#, Ao S#, Wang W, Chen F*, Zheng S*. Magnetic Bead-Based Salivary Peptidome Profiling Analysis for Severe Early Childhood Caries. Caries Res 2015, 49 (1): 63-69 (DOI: 10.1159/000360868).
33. Si Xiangru, Xie Xiaoyan, Quan Junkang, Wang Xiaozhe, Sun Xiangyu, Zhang Chenying and Zheng Shuguo*. Evaluation of root and alveolar bone development of unilateral osseous impacted immature maxillary central incisors after the closed-eruption technique. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2015; 148: 587- 98.
34. Zhu Junxia, Yang Xiang, Zhang Chenying, Ge Lihong and Zheng Shuguo*: A novel nonsense mutation in PAX9 is associated with sporadic hypodontia. Mutagenesis, 2012, 27 (3): 313-317.
35. Zhang CY, Zheng SG*, Wang YX, Zhao YM, Zhu JX and Ge LH. Mutational analysis of RUNX2 gene in Chinese patients with cleidocranial dysplasia. Mutagenesis, 2010, 25 (6): 589–594.
36. Zhang CY, Zheng SG *, Wang YX, Zhu JX，Zhu X, Zhao YM and Ge LH. Novel RUNX2 Mutations in Chinese Individuals with Cleidocranial dysplasia. J Dent Res, 2009.88 (9): 861-866.
Honours and Awards
He won the American National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry "Distinguished Abstract Award" in 2015.